Independent Living Abroad

I honestly never thought I would enjoy apartment living as much as I do. Like many other students studying with Champlain Abroad Dublin this semester, I have lived in dorms up until this point. Therefore, being here in the apartment is honestly the first time that I’m really living on my own. And I have to say; I’m really enjoying it. The student apartments are located in the city center with a 25 minutes walking commute to the Academic Centre.

Roommates

Living room Champlain Abroad Dublin student apartments

My roommates hanging out at the end of the day. This is a typical living room of a student apartment.

I can honestly say, my roommates are what’s making my first apartment experience so great. Living with three other people in a place with only two double bedrooms and a single shared bathroom is not always a simple task.

Luckily, we all have really similar schedules, keep relatively similar hours, and overall just gel really well. Of course, I did have the benefit of choosing to live with some of my closest friends, but from what I’ve heard from other people I know, living with your friends isn’t always the best of decisions.

I feel extremely lucky that I have such great roommates. They are helping to make my Dublin experience the best it could possibly be. It’s true that the apartments here aren’t huge, and there’s not a whole lot of private space. But, if you get along with the people you share your space with, you are guaranteed to have a good time. It is also important to take responsibility of finding your own personal space away from the apartments, maybe see up a coffee shop close by. That’s an easy solution if you need to get away for a couple of hours.

Cooking

One thing I’ve discovered while living here in Dublin is that I actually kind of like cooking. What’s more, according to the people who’ve tasted the food I’ve made, I’m pretty good at it. This is pretty good because, as we all know, food is important. So, having the ability to make good food is a valuable skill. Especially because going out to eat all of the time is super expensive and only buying ready-made, frozen or microwavable food is really unhealthy.

The best advice I can give when it comes to cooking is to just try it! There have been plenty of things this semester that I got into my head that I wanted to eat so I went ahead and tried to make it. I Googled some recipes, bought the supplies I needed, and just tried my best. And, you know what? Those have turned out to be some of the best meals we’ve had this semester.

I haven’t had to do all of the cooking, though, either. Which is also super great. Because, sometimes there are just nights that I don’t want to cook and it’s super nice to be able to turn to one of my roommates and just say, “Hey, who wants to cook tonight?”

Here’s just a couple examples of dishes I’ve made since being here this semester:

11002260_992264754135017_483934982_o

Pork chop with baked potato and peas

11001493_992264737468352_1262380885_o

Teriyaki chicken, rice, and broccoli

11000710_992193914142101_2069585776_o

Chicken korma with broccoli on a bed of rice

Cleaning

Unless you’re one of those super-cleaner types, who find cleaning relaxing or therapeutic, cleaning simply isn’t fun. However, it is important. If you don’t clean the counters, they get covered in crumbs and food. If you don’t do laundry, you will have no clothes to wear. If you don’t do dishes, you won’t be able to cook anymore.

Maintaining a clean apartment vital to everyday life and will remain so for the rest of my life. But it doesn’t have to be dreadful, especially if you’re able to divvy up the work with your roommates. For example, whoever cooks doesn’t have to do the dishes. We coordinate who’s going to do laundry when, so that no one runs out of underwear but we’re also not fighting over space on the drying rack.

The accommodations here in Dublin have, overall, been really great. If nothing else, it has allowed me to ease my way into living on my own while still having a support system if I need help with anything. I now feel so much more confidant about living in an apartment in the future. If you want to read more about the Champlain Abroad Dublin facilities, visit our website HERE. 

Ben Pitt
Champlain Abroad Dublin, Spring 2015
Champlain College Professional Writing Major
Class of 2016

APPLY NOW TO STUDY ABROAD!
READY TO GET THAT INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE AND GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE?

VISIT https://www.champlain.edu/academics/international-education/champlain-abroad/champlain-abroad-dublin

Champlain Abroad Logo